Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The rabbit and the snail

The snail is late again. One hour late. It’s not the first time. In fact, it’s the 4th time this month. He’s just too slow. The other animals are getting more and more impatient each time.

“I have better things to do,” says the squirrel. “I still need to practice my singing,” says the songbird. “I have a whole garden of carrots that need my attention,” says the rabbit. “Let’s carry on our meeting without the snail. We’re busy animals. We don’t have time to waste,” the rabbit continues.

Towards the evening, the rabbit thought of possible solutions to the problem. The meeting cannot always carry on without the snail. It’s only fair that he too must have a say in all matters. “I will help him,” thought the rabbit. “I will encourage him to walk faster, to be more efficient and I will be a good example to him. The next meeting, I shall go early to his house and walk together with him to the meeting hall.”

On the day of the meeting, the rabbit rose early and rushed to the snail’s house. The snail was grateful for the rabbit’s help and tried his best to push forward as fast as he can. However, no matter how hard the snail pushed, they are still moving inch by inch. Knowing that the snail tried his best, the rabbit slowed down and take each step at a time.

Taking each step at a time, the rabbit started to notice the beautiful flowers by the roadside. The colorful flowers with butterflies everywhere made the rabbit smile. The tall trees that stand so elegant towards the sky amazed the rabbit. Fluffy clouds dancing in the blue sky brought joy to his heart. The sound of the wind on the leaves was like music to his ears. “What a beautiful day,” whispered the rabbit. “How beautiful nature is, how amazing God’s creation is. Thank you, snail for helping to open my eyes and my heart to appreciate the wonders of this world.”

Who would have thought that the rabbit so eager to offer help was helped in the end?

Did I rush through my life? Am I walking 2 steps at a time? Will I be able to look back and remember the moments of my life? Did I ever stop and ponder? Did I ever realise the things that I have missed? Do I need a snail in my life?

Life is worth the appreciation. Appreciate each step along the way. Enjoy each moment of your life. Let the stones along your path be colorful stones instead of stumbling blocks. Let the glorious times bring contentment to your soul. Let your heart be filled with joy instead of resentment. Let your life be YOUR life.

No comments: